Don’t Kidnap Construction Workers, Wike Begs Kalabari People

Rivers State Governor has begged the people of Kalabariland not to do anything that would jeopardize the completion of the Phase One of the Trans-Kalabari road project.

The governor who spoke at the flag-off of the project at the Degema Waterfront on Thursday said, “Do not allow saboteurs to come and kidnap the contractors and sabotage the road. If I hear that the contractors are being harassed, then it is you.”

Wike also asked the contractors to patronize youths of the area by giving them jobs and supply contracts.

The Trans-Kalabari road project had been on the drawing board for over 15 years. In 2009, contract for the road was awarded by the former administration in the state for over N20 billion according to Wike, but only N1.9 billion was released to the contractors.

He however said the present contract has put an end to the ceaseless promises that succeeding governments had made to the people about executing the contract.

The first phase of the contract will cover 13.5 kilometres and connect six communities. Wike said the contract sum is N13.6 billion and is expected to be completed within 14 months. He said an irrevocable standing order has been executed on the internally generated revenue of the state government for its bankers to deduct and remit N1 billion every month to the contractors.

The Kalabari area is covered by creeks and marshland, which have made it difficult to link most of the area to the mainland of Rivers State. The governor said with the execution of the Trans-Kalabari roads, the congestion of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital would be reduced.

Follow Us on Social Media

Related posts

Top
Share
Share
error: Content is protected !!
WhatsApp WhatsApp us